Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Gnarled Tree


Tree--Central Park
Originally uploaded by PhoebeJ.
Central Park on a drizzly day. The colors were very subdued. I found this gnarled tree. I've probably passed it 100 times since it's alongside the azalea pond, but this was the first time I noticed it. It really looks like something out of a fairy tale or Lord of the Rings. Perhaps it is an ent.

Or maybe squirrels live inside. Like this bad boy.



The Gill is a stream with many small waterfalls that runs through the Ramble in Central Park. Every waterway in the Park can be turned on and off by the Parks Department. There are no natural streams left. It's all artifice. Frederic Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux managed to make artifice beautiful.


2 comments:

Grumpy Old Man said...

Beautiful photos.

I especially like the tree, 'cuz it's gnarled like me.

Nancy said...

I don't care for the gnarled tree very much, but the others are terrific!