Friday, September 23, 2005

Gorgeous Day


White Memorial
Originally uploaded by PhoebeJ.
A photo just can't describe what a beautiful day we had on Thursday, September 22nd, in Litchfield County, CT. The weather was dry, cloudless and in the seventies. Just being outside made you feel good.

I went to the White Memorial Foundation, a 4600 acre wildlife preserve around Bantam Lake. There's a wetland called Little Pond with a boardwalk. It was a slow birdwatching day, at least in the afternoon when I went out, but the walk was glorious. I did see a great blue heron perched in a tree, a northern mockingbird, a black-throated green warbler and a hawk (likely a female red-tail) that flew right across the path at a mere five feet off the ground.

As you can see, very few of the trees had started to turn although noticeably more are turning today than yesterday. But fall is on the way. This wooly bear caterpillar was my first of the season.



Nicholas enjoyed watching some birds at home.


3 comments:

Grumpy Old Man said...

Ah, seasons! The traditional four, I mean.

Nancy said...

Didn't we go there once. I seem to remember a walk in a preserve with a boardwalk. I also remember there were a lot of people there. It was quite impressive as are your photos. As always.

I love Fall. Wish we had one!

Phoebe said...

Yeah, I think we went there. Not usually a lot of people there except on the odd weekend day.